9 Things You May Not Know About Toy Story
1. The star of the Pixar short film Tin Toy, Tinny, a wind-up musician, was originally going to be Andy’s new toy. He was, of course, replaced by good-old Buzz. Good thing, too, because “Tinny the Tin Toy’s Space Ranger Spin” doesn’t have quite the same ring to it.
2. But Andy’s new toy almost wasn’t Buzz either. Other names that were considered included Lunar Larry and Tempus from Morph.
3. Woody also went through some changes. He was originally going to be a ventriloquist’s dummy.
4. Toy Story was the first full-length animated feature film to be created entirely on the computer. This process introduced a whole new set of challenges. While fewer animators were required (about an eighth of the number used on a typical Disney animated feature), the process to bring the characters to life was much more involved. Hundreds of computer models were generated, each with a complex system of 3-D motion controls. For example, animating Woody’s mouth alone required 58 separate controls.
5. The film required 114,240 frames of animation, with a staggering 2 to 15 hours of computer time required to render each and every frame. Three hundred computers worked simultaneously to handle the tremendous load.
6. Billy Crystal was originally approached to be the voice of Buzz Lightyear, but he turned it down. He later said that it was one of the biggest mistakes of his career. Pixar gave him a second chance by offering him the opportunity to voice Mike Wazowski in Monsters, Inc., which Crystal eagerly accepted.
7. Toy Story was the first animated film to be nominated for the Best Writing, Screenplay Written Directly for the Screen Academy Award®.
8. The Pizza Planet truck, first seen in Toy Story, can be found in nearly every subsequent Pixar film. For example, in Monsters, Inc., you can find it in the Louisiana swamp that Randall gets banished to, parked next to the motor home.
9. You can also spot Buzz Lightyear in Finding Nemo. Take a close look during the scene in the dentist’s office, and you can find him as one of the toys lying around the waiting room.